The Root Network XRPL Bridge allows the secure transfer of tokens between The Root Network and the XRP Ledger. It allows two-way transfers of native XRPL tokens.
Benefits and Functions
The XRPL Bridge provides several key functions and benefits:
- Secure transfer of tokens: Transferring tokens between The Root Network and the XRP Ledger is seamless and secure. The bridge provides a decentralised and cryptographically secure way to move tokens and assets between the two chains.
- Liquidity: Asset bridges unlock more liquidity for the network. Developers, metaverse projects and community members can utilise The Root Network for building while receiving payments in XRP-supported currencies.
- Cross-chain functionality: Connecting blockchains means you can combine their strengths. This means non-fungible assets on the XRPL can be bridged to The Root Network to gain additional utility.
- An open metaverse: Web3 infrastructure must be open and interoperable with portable assets. Bridges allow for this level of interoperability by connecting chains to create broader ecosystems of diverse utility.
How does the Bridge work?
XRP Ledger → The Root Network
The user sends a deposit request to The Root Network door account on XRP Ledger. This request contains:
- The recipient’s Root Network address
- The XRPL deposit amount
The XRPL Bridge relayer service picks up the transaction and sends a deposit claim to The Root Network with relevant information.
A challenge period is initiated on The Root Network once the deposit claim is received.
- If a challenge is submitted, validators will query the claim and check the transaction’s validity against the XRPL full node. The validators will determine who is correct (the challenger or the transaction requester) and slash the incorrect party. There will be some pay-out portion to the correct party.
Once the challenge period ends, the claim is considered valid. The token is minted and transferred to the intended recipient's address.
The Root Network → XRP Ledger
The user sends a withdrawal request to the XRPL Bridge module on The Root Network. This request contains:
- The recipient address on XRP Ledger
- The withdrawn XRPL amount
Validators sign a message stating that The Root Network has burnt the requested token amount. The validators will also issue a withdrawal proof.
The XRPL Bridge relayer service picks up the event and submits the withdrawal claim to the door account.
The door account checks that the signatures are legitimate and releases the tokens to the intended recipient address.